Last Updated on May 7, 2021 by Admin
If you follow internet trends you see that more people are now going online. The number of websites has increased rapidly over the years and some of them are malicious. That is why you need a VPN when online to protect yourself from cybercriminals.
Background of online security
Yes, there are other measures needed to protect your privacy and security on the internet.
However, some of the measures have specific applications and things can get technical, for example, email security.
A good security system is one that protects all your traffic, whether it’s coming from apps or web browsers.
You should be able to switch devices or operating systems without losing this protection.
This is where proxies fall short because they only encrypt browser traffic and not traffic from other apps like Skype, Messengers, Media Players to name a few.
A VPN, on the other hand, encrypts all the traffic on your device, thus you are kept safe every time you go online.
A good VPN must have all the standard features expected in a premium VPN.
- Standard VPN features include:
- A reliable kill switch so that internet connection is terminated when there is any disruption of the VPN connection.
- No DNS leaks
- Fast connection speed so that calls have an excellent quality and there are no dropped calls. VoIP calls use data and encryption slows down speed of the connection so you want a VPN that is fast to avoid any call interruptions.
- Widespread server coverage with servers in countries where VoIP is not restricted. You need to connect to one of these servers to successfully bypass your local ISP without worrying about congestion.
- Ability to use anonymous payment methods like Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies.
- At least there should be a money-back guarantee so that you are able to test a VPN before committing to a plan.
- Good customer support in case you have any challenges.
- No logs identifying your internet activities must be kept by the VPN provider.
- Your VPN traffic must be undetected because some service providers monitoring your traffic may block any VPN traffic. VPNs like NordVPN have obfuscated servers that hide VPN traffic.
- A VPN must have strong encryption, preferably AES 256 bit encryption so that your activities are hidden from your ISP or the government.
Not all VPN services are reliable and that is why we did the research to come up with the best VPN services on the market.
- Got no time? The overall best VPN is NordVPN and it is packed with security features
- Onion over VPN
- 68% off a 2-year plan
- 30-day free-trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Benefits of a VPN
1. Hides your IP address
Your IP address identifies your device on the internet and cybercriminals can use that to attack you.
A VPN masks that IP address so that no-one can identify your device.
Consequently, you are able to use the internet privately without worrying about being traced.
2. Prevents bandwidth throttling
If you don’t use a VPN, your ISP can see all the sites you visit and your traffic.
That way if you use sites that use a lot of bandwidth, like online gaming or streaming HD movies, your ISP can limit the bandwidth.
This may result in a slow internet connection which results in poor experience, e.g. too much buffering while streaming.
With a VPN, your ISP only sees a stream of encrypted traffic and can’t tell the content you are viewing.
In the end, your bandwidth is not throttled and you get a better internet connection.
3. Bypasses firewalls
When it comes to bypassing firewalls in countries where the internet is restricted, only the best VPN services do that successfully.
A VPN enables you to use services like social media platforms and access restricted sites from any country.
Free VPNs fall short in this area and some may come with privacy or security issues.
4. Unblocks streaming services
Streaming services like Netflix show different content when you change countries.
A VPN gives you the ability to change you geo-location and you are able to watch content in that country.
Some streaming sites, like Hulu, are not available outside the USA so the only way to access the sites is by using a VPN.
You set the location to USA and access the content regardless of where you are in the world.
In addition, you stream content securely and anonymously, especially if you frequent free streaming sites that can display malicious links.
5. Encrypts all your traffic
A VPN creates a VPN tunnel that encrypts your traffic so that hackers, your ISP or the government cannot see the sites you visit.
Make sure you use a VPN that uses secure VPN protocols like WireGuard or OpenVPN protocols.
If you work with sensitive data online without a VPN, hackers can easily intercept your traffic and steal the data.
VPNs like NordVPN have extra security features like antimalware, adblock and onion over VPN.
6. Enables access to cheaper services
Did you know that prices of online services may vary depending on where you enquire them from.
This is usually the case for hotel bookings where prices are more expensive for some tourists.
You can use a VPN to change your geo-location, compare prices and make a payment from a location where it’s cheaper.
You definitely need a VPN nowadays because your personal information is valuable to cybercriminals.
Cases of hacked accounts, identity theft and stolen funds online are on the rise.
Cybersecurity Ventures conducted a research that showed a global annual cost of about $6.1 trillion by 2021 due to cyber crime.
To be sure that you are absolutely safe you need the best VPN service and NordVPN is our top pick.
- 68% off a 2-year plan
- 30-day free trial and money-back guarantee
- Packed with security features
Are you using a VPN? Comment below and share the post with your friends on social media.