Last Updated on July 24, 2021 by Admin
The use of a VPN is totally legal in Australia and you can enjoy the freedom that comes with a VPN when you go online. In this article, we look at the best VPNs for Australia.
According to Defense Minister Linda Reynolds, cyber-attacks against Australia have increased with 4500 attacks being recorded in one day at some point.
This has resulted in the Australian government stepping up internet surveillance in an effort to counter cybercriminal activities.
Australia is a member of the Five Eyes Alliance, which is an organization with countries that share information about citizens when need arises.
This means if you are an Australian citizen using the internet, chances are high that your data is also stored somewhere else without your consent.
You can be tracked without your knowledge if the government is interested in your activities. To give you an idea of agencies that can track you here is a list:
- ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organization)
- Australian Border Force
- Australian Federal Police
- All state and territory police forces
- The Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity
- Australian Crime Commission
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- NSW Crime Commission
- NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption
- NSW Police Integrity Commission
- Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission
- West Australian Corruption and Crime Commission
- South Australian Independent Commission Against Corruption
A VPN hides you on the internet and gives you these benefits:
- Anonymous browsing of the internet because your traffic is encrypted
- Ability to change your geo-location and unblock streaming services like Netflix
- High security, making it difficult for hackers, the government or your ISP to break into your VPN tunnel
The best VPNs outlined below have standard features that should be available in any top VPN.
Free VPNs have no privacy and your browsing data is logged by the provider, in addition to other downsides.
- Got no time? Use our best pick, NordVPN, is very secure and has fast servers.
However, high-end VPNs manage to provide a lot of features, some of which include:
- IP address masking
- Reliable kill switch
- Zero DNS leaks
- Ability to unblock streaming sites like Netflix
- Excellent customer service preferably with live chat
- Strong encryption and support for the best VPN protocols
- Cross-platform support
- Widespread servers
- At a glance, these are the VPNs we recommend for Australia
Best VPNs for Australia in detail
1. NordVPN – Has all essential security features and fast servers
NordVPN does an excellent job in ensuring that your data is kept secure.
This VPN service goes an extra mile in ensuring you get all the bells and whistles that are available in the VPN industry.
Some of the features include:
- WireGuard-based VPN protocol called NordLynx
- Encrypted proxies popular browsers
- WebRTC blocking
- More than 5100 servers worlwide
Of course, all the standard features listed in the first section are present. That means if you have queries you can chat with one of the NordVPN representatives on live chat.
NordVPN is definitely a VPN for Australia if you want a service that is loaded with features at an affordable price.
Use the link below to grab the best NordVPN deal.
2. Surfshark VPN – Low cost VPN
Surfshark VPN has a low-cost plan that allows you to access all premium features that are not available in free VPNs.
There are more than 3200 servers worldwide, with 69+ servers distributed in 5 Australian cities:
These servers are optimized to unblock Netflix so you have the freedom to enjoy content in other parts of the world.
Get the best deal using the link below
3. Private Internet Access VPN – Extensive server coverage
A worldwide, extensive network of servers is one of the major strengths of PIA, giving you plenty of IP addresses that you can use.
There are 313 servers in Australia distributed in 3 locations. If you want to go online, there is always an optimum server close by to ensure that the network is fast and reliable.
PIA supports WireGuard and OpenVPN so you get the current industry standard in terms of encryption of your VPN tunnel.
If you want to sign up, I suggest you go for the 2-year plan because you get 73% OFF the usual price.
4. CyberGhost VPN – User-friendly and widespread servers
CyberGhost is a popular VPN that is very simple to use but delivers highly reliable security and privacy.
Like PIA, CyberGhost has extensive server coverage and their best plan is a 3-year plan where you get a serious discount.
There is a 45-day money-back guarantee, giving you ample time to test out all the features before you sign up for a plan.
It is definitely one of the best VPNs for Australia and if you are a beginner, this is a VPN for you.
Free VPN services for Australia
You can also use a free VPN in Australia although features are inferior to what paid plans have to offer.
There are several downsides of a free VPN that you need to be aware of and these are:
- Ads are displayed to generate revenue
- Your browsing patterns are logged
- Adware is results in annoying ads and installation of malware
- Limited bandwidth
- Poor or no customer support
We have listed the free VPNs that we consider to be safe although you need to upgrade to the paid version to access all features.
1. Hide.me VPN
This is a top VPN that offers a paid plan and a free plan. With the free plan you get a data limit of 10 Gig/month and that is better than a free plan from TunnelBear VPN.
2. Proton VPN (Our Favourite)
ProtonVPN gives you unlimited bandwidth unlike other free VPN services that cap your data. You also get strong encryption hence your data is secure.
There is a paid plan that gives you access to more servers, hence better connectivity.
With HSS you get a free plan that gives you 750Mb/day and military-grade encryption. There is always room to upgrade to the full-featured version but you should get things done with the free plan.
This VPN also has a paid plan and a free plan. However, the free plan only limits your data to 500MBs per month. Other free VPNs give you access to even more bandwidth.
Pro-Tip: Free VPNs are never going to guarantee maximum privacy and security.
These are the best VPNs for Australia and also a list of free VPNs that you can use when your budget is tight.
As a site that is very particular about security and privacy, we don’t advise you to use most free VPNs when dealing with sensitive data. DNS leaks, data logging, poor customer support etc. can leave you exposed when online.
Alternatively, choose one of the best VPNs above and take advantage of the money-back guarantee period. You can always get your money back if you are not happy.
Which VPN are you using? Leave comments below and share the post with your friends.